The Wurlitzer building once was the home of the famous Wurlitzer Co., which made pianos, instruments, and the “Mighty Wurlitzer” organs for movie theaters. More than 2,000 organs were built for theaters nationwide between 1911 and 1943, including the Fox, Fisher, Michigan and State (now the Fillmore) theaters in Detroit.
The Renaissance Revival style building was designed by Detroit architect Robert Finn, and it opened in December 1926.
The building has been vacant and in disrepair for years. It was recently purchased by a New York developer looking to turn it into a hotel.
For more information, read Dan Austin’s Free Press Article.
Photography by Rod Arroyo