Renowned architect Albert Kahn designed this 14-story building in Detroit’s Cultural Center. The Maccabees Building was originally constructed for the fraternal organization – Knights of the Maccabees (a.k.a. Supreme Tent of the Maccabees of the World) – which later established the Royal Maccabees Insurance company. It opened in 1927 and is now owned by Wayne State University. This building was originally the broadcast tower for WXYZ radio (both WXYZ-AM and WXYZ-FM) and television, until the station moved to new facilities in 1959. It also was once home to the Detroit Public School System. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
Rod Arroyo, Photographer
All Rights Reserved